Monday, February 6, 2012

Girls Day

Lorin, Mom, and I spent Saturday in KC doing the "girls day out" thing.  We ate lunch, did a little shopping, saw a show, ate some dinner, and did a little more shopping.  Not exactly my idea of a great time, except in this case it was.  At lunch, we shared a fondue dessert.  Watching Lorin dipping and re-dipping everything was hilarious!  Watching her and Nana pick out jewelry for one another while we shopped was fun.  I don't think there's a ring out there that is too gaudy for those two!  Sitting on a bench outside the theater, sharing hot cocoa, and talking about the things we hoped to see during the play was interesting.  I'm always fascinated by the things that Lorin comes up with.  We saw Aladdin.  Before the show, she was worried that the person playing Jasmine wouldn't be pretty enough; and were they going to have a real monkey; and how would the magic carpet fly; and tons of questions about the genie.  It was awesome to have that conversation with her and hear her thoughts/worries before going in.  Watching Lorin's face as she watched the play was great.  She was so entertained that she wasn't even bothered by the fact that the story differed from the Disney movie version that she's used to.  After dinner and more shopping, Lorin finally told us that she thought we should head home.  Mom and I checked our watches expecting it to be about 10 at this point and were shocked to find that it was only 6:30!  This probably doesn't sound like much to you, but I just can't tell you how much I enjoyed that day - spending time with my girl; watching my girl interact with my mom; seeing that my girl is becoming a little lady.  It was amazing!  I remember having days like this with my mom when I was younger.  I also remember reaching a point where I dreaded these days.  I begrudgingly went along with them and I'm sure I made it clear that I wasn't a willing participant.  At the time, I couldn't imagine why my mom kept putting up with me and setting up these "girls day out" events.  Now I understand.  I dread the day that Lorin no longer wants to spend these days with me.  Even then, I'll probably force her to go just like my mom did.  In the words of mothers everywhere, "one day she'll thank me for this"!

No comments:

Post a Comment